Thursday, January 2, 2014

Knit the Sky

Isn’t the very phrase “knit the sky” lovely? It’s another way I plan to celebrate each day of 2014. The idea of knitting a sky scarf was conceived by artist Lea Redmond of Leafcutter Designs.

Source: Leafcutter Designs

The goal is to knit two rows each day using two strands of yarn at a time which represent the color of the sky where you live. For example, if the sky is a pretty blue but has lots of fluffy clouds, I’ll use the colors blue and ecru. I love this idea. It reminds me to be mindful of the world outside my window and is easily transportable so I can capture the sky wherever I may travel.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
Instead of the pattern’s suggested garter stitch, I am knitting my Sky Scarf in moss stitch:

Cast on 41 stitches.
Row 1: K1, *P1, K1; repeat from * to end of row.
Row 2: P1, *K1, P1; repeat from * to end of row.
Repeats rows 1 and 2 until done.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
A small 2014 calendar freebie and some colored pencils have been added to my Sky Scarf kit and are being put to use to track my progress in written form by simply making two squiggly lines in the colors of the day’s sky.

This conceptual knitting project pattern is free (see Resources below), but I did opt to order their yarn kit which contains five different colors of 100% baby alpaca made in Peru: Caribbean Heather, Sapphire Heather, Silver, Charcoal, and Ecru.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
My two rows are already knitted for today—adding on to those I knit on New Year’s Day. Unfortunately for those of us living in Florida’s Panhandle, we’re experiencing gray wet days, so my scarf is not very colorful yet. Blue skies are coming though!

Resources


4 comments:

jemilyea said...

Just yesterday I was browsing Ravelry and reading about scarves knitted using the day's temperatures, and now I see your second post about your new project. I hope you'll give us updates throughout the year.

I really like the project bags/baskets you've set up for this scarf and the Project Life for 2014.

tealeafquilts said...

This sounds like so much fun! Maybe I should give it a go. That is the same stitch I've been using for the dishrags isn't it? I would probably need different yard and needles. Maybe you could take me down to the shop and help me out! And I love what you are doing for yourself!

Unknown said...

Happy new year Junie Moon.
This sounds like a great project - look forward to seeing how it progresses throughout the year.
Jill x

Thimbleanna said...

I love this idea! I was very tempted by it, but our skies are always gray and hazy. We do have the very occasional clear blue -- I suppose a gray scarf with a little blue would be pretty. I'll be looking forward to seeing your pretty scarf develop!