Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Splendid New Beginning

Since they were way too heartbreaking, I’m closing the battered door on the past three years and opening a freshly-painted door to hope for 2014. Although I really don’t care about making resolutions at the beginning of a new year, the turn of the calendar does give me a benchmark by which I can start fresh. This is my year for doing so.

 
While we all carry a bit of tattered baggage with us, we can celebrate our lives in myriad ways as advocated by Sarah Ban Breathnach in her book. Breathnach’s opening essay challenges us to look for “the splendid in the simple gift of the everyday”. It is my intention to do just that.

SourceProject Life Becky Higgins
Project Life is one of the ways I plan to celebrate 2014. It’s a simple scrapbooking system that means I will not have to spend hours recording my adventures but will be out enjoying them instead.


I chose the Seafoam edition of Project Life and its associated peripherals which I have completely assembled so it’s ready to document my year by simply popping in my photos and making a journal note.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
Today I’ll insert pictures from our fun at last night’s Commodore’s Ball at the yacht club. It counts as part of Day 1 since we partied until the wee hours of this morn to welcome in 2014.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
I’m keeping this documentation of my year relatively simple—my entire toolset is gathered in a basket. The point is to keep it easy to being mindful and grateful for the simple gifts life gives me over the year as encouraged by Sarah Ban Breathnach.
Resources
Goodbye 2013 and hello, my love, to a splendid new beginning of 2014!

3 comments:

Jane said...

It's always so good to see a post from you! Hope 2014 will bring many days to celebrate!

tealeafquilts said...

Good luck with Project Life!

Thimbleanna said...

Happy New Year Junie Moon! I'm a little worried about that opening statement about those heartbreaking years -- I hope all is well with you. I love January -- I opens up a whole new year of hope and cheer. Wishing health and happiness for you in this new year!