Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Orange Zest Madeleines

Along with some sewing projects, new recipes have made their way on my must-do-right-away list. One of those recipes is for madeleines. While I’ve made these little cakes before, I thought I’d try yet another recipe version.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved
Dry, dense, heavy madeleines do not excite me; however, the particular recipe I used this time resulted in a cake that was moist and delicious with a lovely, light flavor as the result of using just the right amount of freshly-zested orange.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved




I learned three things when trying this new recipe:
  1. Do not over-mix the batter.
  2. Chill the batter in the fridge for at least an hour.
  3. Bake your madeleines the same day they will be served.

Source: Amazon.com
The recipe was published in The New York Times and is an adaptation from one found in  The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Pastry Arts.

A batch was made for my knitting group and another for my mother-in-law’s bridge group’s game day. Both batches were eaten in what seemed one heart beat of time.

3 comments:

Lorrie said...

I tried making madeleines years ago, they were a flop and I've never tried again. However, after reading the article, I'm going to give them a try. They look delectable!

Have a wonderful day, June.

Thimbleanna said...

Thanks for the recipe June. The first time I made madeleines they were perfect, but did I save the recipe??? Nooooo. I've made several more attempts but they're always like rocks. Now I'll have to try your recipe and see if I have any better luck!

Cartoonmoney said...

Good readinng your post