Monday, June 7, 2010

The Optimistic Doughnut

Between the optimist and the pessimist, the difference is droll. The optimist sees the doughnut; the pessimist the hole! ~ Oscar Wilde


© Paula Flores, All Rights Reserved


A couple of times a year, my friend Janel holds a cooking party at her house. This past Saturday eight of us gathered to make various types of pastries while enjoying Janel’s homemade root beer and yummy dishes contributed by all the attendees for our lunch.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


Judy (Janel’s mother) came from Idaho to share her pastry recipes and techniques with us. We made glazed doughnuts.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


And we made maple bars


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved


Even Oscar Wilde’s pessimistic doughnut holes were made.

Although I forgot to photograph them in my enthusiasm for testing the results of our labor, we also made ever-so-delicious Parker House rolls. Each person took home a big container full of goodies to share with our families.

Eight women working simultaneously in one kitchen would daunt a lot of people, but not us. Cooking with friends is such a hoot and we're already looking forward to our next adventure making pasta in July.

Thank you Janel and Judy!


6 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Oh how fun!!! I think a baking party would be fabulous. It sounds like you have just the right mix of women too!

FinnyKnits said...

Oh man - she's brave to have a bunch of people making donuts in her kitchen.

Messy deliciousness, that.

Cat said...

That sounds like a blast. Everything looks so good. I love homemade root beer, when we were in Amish country, PA last year I brought home a big jug.

I've made ginger beer (soda really), need to try root beer.!!

Hugs!!!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

What fun to bake together with friends, June! I love donuts!

Unknown said...

I think I've put half a stone on just thinking about all those yummy doughnuts!

What a great way to spend a Saturday June - Who did the washing up?

I hope I'm invited to the Pasta making in July :0)

Jill x

Lena said...

I like this idea a lot. I actually have cooked with friends a number of times, but I don't think as many as 8. That sounds like great fun. Usually, it is my friend Patty and I who get together. She recently suggested a canning, and jam making session sometime this summer, as she's retiring soon. I think I'm looking forward to that, as much as she is. I miss having friends to do such things with. So many of them seem too busy, or have moved away. You're fortunate to have a group of enthusiastic friends June.