Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day of Reckoning

Calculators are clicking away all over the U.S. today while DIY folks or professionals frantically work to meet today’s federal tax submission deadlines.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Although I keep my political opinions pretty much to myself, here’s what I think about this annual debacle.


Y’know the annual Talk Like a Pirate Day? It really ought to be scheduled for April 15 each year instead of September 19. Anyway, we finished our taxes late this year, just submitting them last week. Our day of reckoning is over—at least for this year.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Years ago I organized our tax files based on IRS guidelines. You can read my post about organizing your taxes here.

© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

After walking the tax plank each year and falling overboard from the sheer aggravation of it all, I do at least keep our records tidy. I insert copies of our federal/state tax submissions and substantiating materials in a large white envelope labeled for that year.

Argh, me maties—I hope your day of number crunching is either done or near completion before the post office closes today. The IRS cutlass is sharp indeed and, based on what we pay each year in taxes, I do believe their cutlass is made of platinum.

5 comments:

Lorrie said...

Luckily, we in Canada have until April 30 to file our taxes. And we're still waiting for some papers to arrive!
Your system is gorgeous - I don't look after our taxes and I wonder what my husband would think about me foofying up his files. He might really like it!

Unknown said...

How organised are you? Flippin Eck, I'm v.impressed.

Thimbleanna said...

Isn't it the truth? Your files are so beautiful -- which surely helps with the sting. I don't mind paying taxes but I REALLY resent the ridiculous amount of time that it takes to figure it all out. The system is so ridiculously convoluted -- how hard can it be to give us a simple FAIR system??? {Sorry for being on my soapbox -- it IS the day, after all!}

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Such neat files, June! My husband does our taxes using a computer program. Unhappily, we had to pay even more this year so we waited till the last day.

Sump Pump Installation Ogden said...

Nice blog post.