Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Twilight Gifts

Mittens became a new knitting challenge for me when I decided to make a pair like the ones Bella wears in the Twilight movie. I needed a Twilight-themed gift for someone who loves the books and movie series.

The first mitten worked out great which tickled me no end. The second mitten went well until I reached the last little bit—the thumb. Somehow I got distracted and the thumb ended up being a nub. That’s what impatience and not paying attention will do for you.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Not to be thwarted by a mitten, I started over and knit a whole new pair since I have no clue as to how to fix the original thumb nub. This time I managed to get everything knitted properly. The pattern was created and offered free by Marielle Henault of the Subliminal Rabbit blog.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I also gave t-shirt transfers a try by using a project found at All Things Thrifty blog. This was relatively easy, a simple matter of printing a mirror image of the graphic on transfer paper and carefully cutting it out and ironing on to a white t-shirt.

7 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Thanks for the links. The mittens are gorgeous. I could use some, or some handwarmers. It is freezing here!

Diane said...

I adore the pattern on the mittens. What a shame to have had to completely re-knit the second one. You are the busiest person I know. What lovely and thoughtful gifts you've made, from the heart.

Bridgett said...

Ha! Love the saying on the shirt.
You are such a giving person, June!

)O(
boo

Thimbleanna said...

Ohmygosh! You knit a whole new pair??? You're hardcore June. They're beautiful btw!

Lorrie said...

I gave my daughter-in-law several Twilight themed gifts that I made this year - some handwarmers à la Alice Cullen and a Bella necklace (crystal pendant with a "dazzle me" charm.)

Your Bella gloves are beautiful - I haven't dared to try making things with thumbs yet.

Mommy, I'm Home said...

What a great idea! I just started knitting in the fall and so far have only made a bunch of scarves. One day, I'll be good enough to do mittens (I hope...).

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Mittens are the very bestitems to wear to keep the hands warm! Your Twilight fan is going to be so excited to receive your lovely hand knitted pair and the fun T shirt!

My computer is finally working 100%! The defective part was replaced yesterday ...weee! Now I hope that will be the end of any furhter issues :-) Hope you get your new lap top soon!