Monday, September 21, 2009

Technique Mania

Saturday afternoon I took a four-hour class at Pages in Progress with some friends. Our task was to create a collage using a storyboard template provided us in a kit.

Here is the collage I made; each piece involved a different technique using Ranger products: embossing, glittering, crackling, stamping, painting, masking, distressing, and so on.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I learned a few new things about myself in this class. Conceptual art is not my thing, too abstract for me. I’m not into grunge which I’m not even sure I understand. And while there’s a certain amount of messiness in the creative process, I like to be tidy while working and this project was very messy work.

At one point we were told to tear a hole in one of the pieces of paper so as to attach that gizmo in the picture with the chain that goes over to the key. When I heard the bit about tearing, my mouth popped open and out came: “I don’t think so.” My tiny hole-punch was put in use instead. I almost broke into tears when asked to mix paints on my nice neat craft mat (I substituted wax paper).

Today my windows are getting their fall cleaning inside and out, and then I’m going to work on a sewing project to get my craft mojo balance back. Controlled chaos is something I’m more comfortable doing.

10 comments:

Niesz Vintage Home said...

"Controlled Chaos"...I am totally with you on that.
Your collage turned out wonderful! But I think I would have bulked at being asked to just rip a hole in it as well. :)

It sounds like a fun class.
Kimberly

Kristie said...

So would "controlled chaos" describe your craft room, then? :o)

Mademoiselle Julie said...

OMG! Thanks for the laugh this morning, June! I am the SAME way - I have to have a tidy workspace, organized to the z & so on. Afterwards I clean-up too so that I won't have to return to a messy room. I can NOT think straight or even create anything in chaos. I am told once I get the opportunity to craft out of my own lil' workshop – separate, big & more space in other words - things will change & I’ll be able to “relax” & let go – or leave. My thought around that subject: I hope I’ll be able to afford a maid @ that point! HA! Cheers, Julie

SunnyInspiration said...

That collage is absolutely gorgeous! Seriously, I'd put that in a frame on my bookshelf! Beautiful. (Even if it were a bit "messy" for you to make!)

Thimbleanna said...

You're hysterical June! I burst out laughing when you said I don't think so! I shudder to think what would fly from your mouth is you could see the chaos in my sewing room at the moment!!!

greetingarts said...

At least you learned (or confirmed) something about yourself, right? I'm not very good at the altered book, collage-y type messy stuff, either. And that's totally okay with me!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

LOL! This post made me smile, June The finished result looks great! Paper Arts can be quite messy and and at least now you know that it's not your "cup of tea."

Bridgett said...

Messy process or not, it turned out beautifully! Wow.

Happy Mabon!

)O(
booo

Lena said...

Oh gosh June! This post made me smile. It reminds me of when my son was small. He loved to do artwork, but he didn't enjoy the messy stuff, so much. No finger painting for him! His third grade teacher was especially flumoxed by that. She said she would introduce all kinds of materials to him, but he always went back to his coloured pencils. He told me, it was because he could make them do what he wanted them to, where as paint for instance, often looked different from what he hoped to achieve.

I'm really messy when I work!

MaddyLane Designs said...

So beautiful Junie, such enchanting art, lovely details and creations =)