Friday, March 20, 2009

Blessings Friday: Garden of Hope

As it’s officially springtime, my thoughts have turned to gardening. Starting my mornings amongst the earthy smell of dirt and the vision of green tendrils shooting for the sky are lovely ways to start my day. In my tiny garden plot, seedlings are growing—a promise of small harvests ahead.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

I’m putting my garden to special use this year and have planted tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, strawberries, garlic, some herbs and other assorted goodies.


© June Scroggin, All Rights Reserved

Whatever thrives will be donated to my local food bank, a project I discovered via SusieJ.



It’s heartbreaking to imagine children starving. Since I have enough blessings in my life, I’m hoping something wonderful will grow that will help some mother’s hungry children. I’m calling the tiny bit of growing space we have my Garden of Hope.

9 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy Spring June!

Those strawberries are so cute!

Food banks don't often get fresh and local fruits and vegetables so that will be a wonderful donation, June!

Is the woman that collected the fruit that people didn't want from their home trees still doing that? Her name escapes me now, but I saw a TV piece on her last year. She saw that so much beautiful AZ fruit was rotting on the trees and she organized collecting it and sending it to food banks.

dutchcomfort said...

Those new veggies will make a lovely salad!

The food-bank donation of fresh home-grown vegegtables and fruit sounds perfect!!

FinnyKnits said...

Much luck with your garden this spring. It's excellent to do the "Plant a row for the hungry" thing, but to give your whole harvest? That's incredible, Junie. Good on you.

shenry said...

I hope the people who end up with your veggies truly appriciate the heart you've put into them.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Blessings, indeed, dear June. May the beauty and the bounty within your garden be as blessed as we are by the beauty of your heart and all that you do and share with us. Your life and your ability to love is only surpassed by your ability to give back. ((Prayers that all both outside and inside your home continue to thrive!))

Niki said...

Exactly right June! We grow two large veggie gardens each year and the local food bank loves to receive fresh produce.
Starting my seeds tomorrow, at last!

kari and kijsa said...

Beautiful! We came by to say Thank you!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Mom IsAmagpie said...

June your giving nature always makes me smile! I know around here farmers give their "seconds" to the food bank but people in the city don't really see those, I know that will be really appreciated!

Lena said...

My sister often donates food from her garden to the food bank. I think it is a wonderful idea. We all have many ways to contribute to world needs, and this takes us back to the very basics.

Thank you.