Friday, May 23, 2008

Blessings Friday: Memorial Weekend

Every year on the Sunday night before Memorial Day, we take a picnic dinner to Reid Park to hear the Tucson Symphony Orchestra concert honoring this special holiday.



For this year’s picnic, I made a quilt large enough for four people to sit on. I used an already pieced red, white, and blue patchwork fabric for the top. A plain navy quilted fabric worked for the backing. I bound the edges with red and tied the center of each navy patchwork square with red embroidery floss. Nothing hard, just nice and easy—my version of a patriotic picnic blanket.



Naturally, we need patriotic napkins, too. I made four and edged them in red binding. There’s enough fabric left that I’ll probably make more napkins for future use.



I made two flower arrangements for Memorial Day, one for each side of the front of our garage.

Memorial Day is about remembering and honoring those U.S. men and women who have died in military service to their country. I am humbled by their sacrifice. There is a certain point in the concert program where you stand as representative for each branch of the military in which you or a family member has served. My husband and I can stand for each one of the different military branches.

We remember and are grateful.

15 comments:

Lena said...

Your flowers, quilt and napkins are beautiful June. I hope you will enjoy the concert.

I've been preoccupied all week with thoughts of Memorial Day and all it represents. I always am mindful, but this year especially, as my son turned 21 this week. It's such a symbolic birthday for young men, it seems.
I can't help once again, wishing for peace.

All the best to you!

meg said...

I love both your quilt & the red geranium arrangements- my favorites :-)
Have a lovely, hopefully cool, weekend!

Unknown said...

The quilt is beautiful, and have fun at the concert. I've been in a patriotic mood lately, and I'm glad to see all the red white and blue on your blog!

Yummers! said...

The quilt is perfect for this weekend. I've not seen pieced fabric like that in any of our stores... have to look again. Hope you had a wonderful birthday dinner and concert, too.

Have a fun weekend with Dub!
Joni

Anonymous said...

I was so moved by you post June, especially since I'm from a family of vets. I'm a Navy vet, my DH is USCG (he's still active duty), my oldest son is USAF vet and my dad was Army. We tease my youngest son that if he serves, he has to go USMC so we can have all 5 armed forces represented in the family!

Many blessing to you and your family June!

dutchcomfort said...

Have a wonderful weekend celebrating Memorial Day!

Kim Campbell said...

Beautiful! Have a safe and blessed Memorial Day.

rohanknitter said...

That's a really great picnic set! The concert sounds like a wonderful way to remember Memorial Day and what it stands for.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous quilt, so appropriate for this wonderful day. Lest We Forget.....

Jennifer W. said...

I have been wanting to make a red, white, and blue quilt for quite some time. Yours is lovely.

Thimbleanna said...

Your picnic blanket is perfect June! Have a wonderful time tomorrow.

Gumbo Lily said...

I like your Memorial Day tradition. And the picnic quilt and napkins are nifty!

We have some good friends serving in Iraq and Afghanistan and some on the way soon. Our respect and honor to all who serve!

Jody

Me and Him said...

Your quilt and napkins look great. I hope you hd a happy and peaceful weekend.

a pink-bee said...

You , always come up with just the right project!!
crystal

einapets said...

I found your napkins instructions on favecrafts.com. I am trying to make some for a friend and I've gotten stuck on the corners while trying to do the binding.

What did you do to make the corners look like they are in the picture?

I m a sewing newbie and this looked like a easy project to start with. :-)

Thanks!